What you’ll need….
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided coarse salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped black olives
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (Check out out NexTrend Garlic Twist tool here!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano(preferably Mexican), crushed between fingertips
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup uncooked long or medium-grain white rice, rinsed well in a wire strainer with cold water
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen corn
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
What to do…
- In a large soup pot heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Season the chicken well and cook, stirring often so all sides get browned. Remove to a dish and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot over medium-low heat and saute the onion, pepper, garlic and olives together 5 minutes, season well with salt and pepper and stir often.
- Mix in the chile powder, oregano, thyme and rice, cook 3 minutes.
- Stir the chicken back into the pot and add the broth, salsa and corn. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Stir and taste often – seasoning as needed.
- Serve with toppings like cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime and tortilla chips if desired.